Plumeria Tim & Amy Photo Blog

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Giants of the Pacific



It is hard to grasp the sheer size and scale of this picture, but imagine the tree trunks diameter is around 8 feet. Back in 2003, some friends and I went to the Ventana Wilderness along the Pacific Coast in California. The drive is amazing, our destination was directly inland from the one of the most spectacular coastline I have ever seen -Big Sur. (Kaui's Na'pali wins for most dramatic in a tropical setting).

At the trailhead, we decided to hike down into the valley, instead of hike up the valley trail- mostly because we are lazy. The hike in to the canyon was long and hot. I brought my trusty sherpa from previous ventures, and we managed to sweet talk a few of our friends into hiking with us on the condition that we carry most of the gear. As an aside here, I don't think I had walked more then 3 miles for two years at this point, so stumbling down steep paths with 50 pounds was brutal. I was excited to exhaustion when we reached a good spot to set up camp for the night. Basically the first flat ground where we could pitch a tent. But, sleeping under Redwoods is one of my favorite things to do.


My new tent (purchased 2002-REI half dome- highly recommended), has a moon roof. I'm not sure what you actually call it, but the vent on top is great. As I sat by a mountain creek, listening to silence, I sleepily gazed up through the tent, and saw redwoods towering above me like sentinels. Then, across the open sky between the branches I saw one of the brightest shooting stars of my life. As I closed my eyes I knew every aching muscle was worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home