Plumeria Tim & Amy Photo Blog

Friday, January 20, 2006

A good Sherpa is hard to find



This photo is from a recent expedition into the Mountains behind Santa Barbara. I imported the best Sherpa I could find (Ian from Eastern Washington) to carry my equipment. We braved torrential downpours, and discovered that hiking in a ravine isn't the best idea during a Southern California rainstorm.

Ian: "My sherpa sense tells me we should walk in the stream up the mountainside"
Me: "ummm...go for it sherpa, I'm going to stick with walking on the trail."
Ian: "I do this in the backcountry all the time, it is the best way to the top."
Me: "It looks wet."

Right then a rock the size of a Volvo crashed through the underbrush down the hillside into the stream about 50 feet in front of us-where the sherpa would be standing, had he not had to lug me up the hill. The loud crack of rock on rock echoed down the canyon, hushing all wildlife to silence.

Ian: "My sherpa sense tells me not to walk in the stream...."

I quickly realized I hadn't paid enough for my sherpa (promise of a ham sandwich), so we took a quick photo, and escaped from the crumbling canyon. I guess you get what you pay for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home