Plumeria Tim & Amy Photo Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Giant Petrified Cats of China Town



So, I was up in Reno a few weeks back- gambling away my buckets of cash. I must have been up a million if I was up a buck. I kept ordering Mai Tai's from the waitress, and betting it all on black. Later on I learned Amy found my trying to bet 'black' at the 'black jack' table. Outraged that I couldn't bet 'black' at a game that had the word 'black' in the title, I threw my chips at the dealer, and found myself out on the curb. Lucky for me, none of that story is true. Instead I was hanging out at the Starbucks cafe in Reno waiting for Amy's conference to get out. Afterwards we sailed on down to the Foggy City by the Cold Cold Sea (San Francisco) where it was unseasonably hot (summertime). It was there that I found a group of vet students examining the worlds largest petrified kittens.

Apparently, this Chinese breed of cat has lived in the area of China Town since it's founding in the 1800's. Over time the locals bred their cats to be ever larger. Some say this was done as a crazy scheme to make cats a viable source of food. Others have speculated these cats were used to guard treasure from thieves. Whatever the reason, the cats became so large they couldn't move. Over time the combination of wind blown beach sand, cold cold fog, acid rain, and the cloud of marijuana hanging over the place turned the cats to stone. Now, veterinary students from around the world come to study the giant petrified cats of China Town.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home